NEW YEAR; NEW ME

Image
  Hello; it has been a while hope you have been well.   It’s the New Year and for the first time in a while, I didn’t see any new year new me statuses. Have people given up on changing their lives? Or are we overwhelmed by the state of the world which seems to not be changing?  In our capacity, we cannot change the world but what we can change is our look at life. We set targets for new year’s resolutions but we rarely ever get to attain a satisfactory result at the end of the year. The reason for this is we always procrastinate for example I have been thinking I need to lose some weight so I have been thinking of the diet when I asked when I plan to start it I said the 10th and knowing myself I will keep procrastinating. So because we do not start the year on the right footing we set ourselves up for failure. So in the same way, if we wish to succeed in any of our targets, plans let’s start on the right footing. Gregor Moniuszko wrote on Thrive Global that “By starting the day right,

Happiness

 Last weeks post left me thinking as well; It left me pondering what I could say defined a state of happiness?

What did it mean to be happy?

Whether or not one can be happy?



I naturally took to ask Dr Google; there was not one phrase I could find that could adequately describe being happy. It was all so subjective I almost did give up. Until I stumbled on three other blogs; that had defined happiness in a way that gave me a good grasp on the subject. The blogs stated that happiness was an intrinsic matter; no one definition in the world could summarize what it meant to be truly happy. However, they did mention the two types of happiness;  Hedonia and Eudaimonia. 

Hedonia is happiness associated with pleasure, feeling good.  While Eudaimonia is associated with seeking virtue and meaning, it's a state of contentment with life. I honestly think Eudaimonia is the happiness we all should strive to attain because Hedonia is a fleeting high you can get down.

To achieve eudaimonia; researchers suggested that people should;

Invest in long-term goals  

Have concern for the welfare of other people,  

Live up to personal ideals, 

Reframe negative thoughts,

Enjoy the moment


It has been said from time past that the happiest people in the world don't have the best of everything; they make the best of everything. Dear reader, make every breath count; there is no recipe for happiness, but you sure can live happily ever after.  But know this as Dalai Lama said "happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your actions."

 I know the post was a little different, but it was something on my mind. I honestly wanted to talk to you about it. What it means to be truly happy, I hope you learned something new today. 

Blogs used for research 

Happify

Very well mind

Positive Psychology


 

Comments

  1. Setting long time goals is something we strive for and seek to complete when started. Life always has its twists but its worth trying to reach a goal than giving up and giving excuses. Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life is too short

ILWA NDODOO

ILWA NTOMBO