NEW YEAR; NEW ME

Image
  Hello; it has been a while hope you have been well.   It’s the New Year and for the first time in a while, I didn’t see any new year new me statuses. Have people given up on changing their lives? Or are we overwhelmed by the state of the world which seems to not be changing?  In our capacity, we cannot change the world but what we can change is our look at life. We set targets for new year’s resolutions but we rarely ever get to attain a satisfactory result at the end of the year. The reason for this is we always procrastinate for example I have been thinking I need to lose some weight so I have been thinking of the diet when I asked when I plan to start it I said the 10th and knowing myself I will keep procrastinating. So because we do not start the year on the right footing we set ourselves up for failure. So in the same way, if we wish to succeed in any of our targets, plans let’s start on the right footing. Gregor Moniuszko wrote on Thrive Global that “By starting the day right,

Peace

"Peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures." —John F. Kennedy. I wrote the ending of this post before I wrote the beginning. It's because  I realised the true meaning of finding peace at the end of the article.



I have been on a journey lately to be a better person, so I wanted to attain peace. I wanted peace of mind: to put it mildly, my mind is like Mfecane(series of Zulu and other Nguni wars and forced migrations of the second and third decades of the 19th century)  itself. So I decided to try something new. Last week I was upset and overwhelmed by emotions; I found myself picking a pen and paper and writing down my thoughts. After that, I found myself calm in those moments I thought I was at peace. So then I realised; to achieve this calmness, I need to let my thoughts out to paper. Naturally, I wanted to understand this phenomenon which led me to do some digging.

As I read on this subject, I saw the phrase "brains work better when they are rested and relaxed". (JD). 

The question now is what relaxes you?  is it listening to music, dancing, cooking, or exercise. Whatever it may be, do it the next time you feel overwhelmed by emotions or the next time you are upset. 

I found myself able to rationally observe a situation after I had written down my feelings. I was reasonable; I wasn't driven by emotions in all my decisions after. Dare I say I saw the error in my ways; I even avoided lashing out unnecessarily.

I still didn't know if this was peace. I questioned if lashing out was wrong, how then could I fight to have my way. If I keep quiet when will what makes me happy be done? Do I have to be another's doormat? All for the sake of inner peace? Was such peace a worthy trade-off to what makes me happy? So I lashed out; I tell you this, the rainbow comes only after rain. "You will find peace not by trying to escape your problems, but by confronting them courageously. You will find peace, not in denial, but victory." —J. Donald Walters 

Now I can safely say I found peace by going through this whole process. I needed to be calm to exercise rational thinking and have proper conversations to get others to see it from my viewpoint. The victory was in being heard.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life is too short

ILWA NDODOO

ILWA NTOMBO